Author: Jabeen Shamji
We would like to share the upcoming internship webinar for those applying for the forthcoming cycle hosted by the Society for Black Neuropsychology (SBN) in collaboration with the Asian Neuropsychological Association (ANA) and the Hispanic Neuropsychological Society (HNS). Please mark your calendar for Tuesday, October 12th, at 7 pm ET | 4 pm PT. Please register HERE
The webinar will be presented in two parts: The first part of the webinar will highlight the application process and FAQs. The second part will invite participants to ask questions/concerns from the current interns, postdoctoral fellows, and program DCTsin small breakout rooms. This webinar will not be recorded to respect the privacy of the participants.
Besides preparing application package, potential interns often struggle to identify personal priorities such as deciding between general or specialty training, types of rotations offered, internship site location, cost of living, income, prestige/name, diversity of the population served, research opportunities, postdoctoral opportunities, specific questions as a trainee of color, etc.
Here are a few suggestions to facilitate your decision-making process:
- Create an excel sheet and make a running list of your personal and practical factors.
- Rank order your priorities
- Identify your professional long-term and short-term goals
- Discuss your goals with your friends, trusted colleagues, and mentors
- Keep the APPIC match placement data in mind. Last year internship cycle saw a disbalance between supply and demand, with the number of applicants exceeding the number of accredited positions by 624. More information can be found HERE.
- Most importantly, take care of your mental health during this stressful process.
Stay tuned for yet another informative collaborative webinar presented by SBN, HNS, and ANA for the postdoctoral applicants next month. Best of luck to you all who are in this process!